Frequently Asked Questions
What is the C&IT Help Desk Store?
Who is eligible for software and service?
What software is available through the store?
Do you offer downloads of any software?
What software does WSU support?
How can I contact the C&IT Help Desk Store?
What are your store hours?
Changes to SPSS here @ Wayne—the latest.
How can I buy the student or employee owned version of Adobe products?
How can I buy student or employee owned versions of Microsoft products?
How can I find out if I'm running the 32 or 64-bit version of Windows?
How do I know which version of Mac I am using?
How do I renew my version of SPSS?
I am a medical resident. What am I eligible for?
Where are the SPSS lab locations on campus?
Where can I find SPSS if I'm an employee AND a student?
Where can I find my SPSS activation code?
We provide free and discounted software to current students, faculty, and staff for academic, departmental, and personal use. The C&IT Help Desk Store operates with two goals in mind:
- To reduce the cost of desktop software that has universal interest through volume purchase agreements and site licensing.
- To promote software anti-piracy and encourage patrons to comply with licensing requirements.
Licensed software is available exclusively to current Wayne State University students, faculty and staff for departmental and non-university owned (personal) computers (restrictions apply). Retirees and alumni are not currently eligible for software as per our vendor license agreements.
Repair, tune-up and diagnostic services are available through to current students, faculty, staff, retirees and alumni.
Popular offerings include:
- Adobe Creative Cloud (departmental use)
- SPSS (free to enrolled students, discounted for departmental use)
- SAS (discounts for departmental use)
- Monday-Friday: 8:30am-5:00pm
- By phone: 313.577.HELP (4357)
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- In person: Student Center Building, 5221 Gullen Mall, Lower Level Suite 005, Detroit, MI 48202
- Beginning fall of 2014, most of our store products will begin being converted to downloadable versions. The product listing page (bottom section) will list if the downloads are available yet. You can also contact us directly to inquire or make a special request for the software to be sent to you via download.
A list of university supported software can be found here: WSU Supported Software
Refunds are not available for software products that have already been issued a valid product key or access code. Physical products that have been opened are ineligible for refunds unless in the case of a manufacturer's defect. The customer is responsible for reviewing all product features, compatibility, eligibility requirements and distribution methods prior to purchase. All sales are final.
At this time, software purchases must be completed through our secure website here. Beginning September 2015, we will offer tech and computer products and accessories at our new Student Center storefront.
- Students: credit card, debit card, or money order
- Faculty and Staff (for employee owned software): credit card, debit card, money order, or check
- Faculty and Staff (for department owned software): ProCard, IRB, or departmental check
- Cash is NOT accepted at this time
Major software vendors provide deep discounts on their software titles to accredited educational institutions. Our Software Support Team negotiates volume and site licenses for the University and is able to offer many popular software titles at these discount prices for individual and departmental use.
- Log in to our online store: C&IT Help Desk Store
- Click My Downloads in the upper right-hand corner, next to My Cart.
- Click the appropriate download link for the item needed.
Downloads are listed by platform (Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.) and include a PDF with instructions and the product key (if applicable).
- By download under the My Account > My Downloadable Products (left-hand side). Not all products are available via download at this time.
- By pick up at our location in the Student Center Building, usually the same day as the order is placed (inventory restrictions may prevent this). An email will be sent to your Wayne State e-mail address when their order is ready to be picked up.
- By mail for faculty and staff to their department or office (campus address) via the University's campus mail.
- Delivery to non-campus addresses (i.e. home address) is not available at this time.
Read about the latest updates we've made to distributing SPSS: SPSS @ Wayne
As our licensing agreement has changed, we are no longer licensed to sell Adobe products for personal use to students and employees of the University. You must now buy the student or teacher discounted versions of Adobe software directly from Adobe, located here: Creative Cloud for Students and Teachers | Acrobat Pro for Education | Creative Suite 6 for Education
As our licensing agreement has changed, we are no longer licensed to sell Windows operating system products for personal use to students and employees of the University. These products can be purchased directly through Microsoft at their respective student/teacher discounted rate, with a qualifying .edu address, as detailed:
- Students may purchase the latest Windows operating system for personal use here: Windows for Students
- Faculty and staff may purchase the latest Windows operating system for personal use here: Windows for Teachers
- Student, faculty, and staff are eligible to receive a free copy of Office 365 for the duration of your student enrollment or WSU employment.
Visit Microsoft's support page (determine my bit version) and scroll down to the "Automatic version detection results" to view what version you are running. Alternatively, you may scroll down to the next section "Manually determine which version of Windows is installed" and selection which operating system you have to view the instructions for manually locating which bit version that you are running on your computer.
Visit Apple's support page (Finding the OS X version and build information on your Mac). Alternatively, you can click the Apple icon in the upper left-hand corner and then select About this Mac.
SPSS may be renewed simply by obtaining the latest version from our online store, noting the date of when the subscription ends, located on the product's page listing. This means that you will need to re-add the product to your shopping cart and complete the checkout process. The new activation codes are published to the products listed within at least one month prior to the expiration of the current codes.
Medical residents, under Wayne State University, are eligible for free and paid software through the C&IT Help Desk, with the exception of Office 365 (free version) and SPSS for Students (free version). Wayne State medical residents must purchase a license to use Office 365 and SPSS (which are free to Wayne State students). DMC (Detroit Medical Center) medical residents or medical residents of other affiliations are not eligible for software through the C&IT Help Desk at this time. For questions regarding your affiliation's eligibility, you may contact your GME (Graduate Medical Education) office.
Undergraduate Library (UGL), 5155 Gullen Mall
- 24 hour area, 1st floor
- 2nd floor classroom lab area
- Room 5, lower level
SPSS for Students is now visible in the Student Software tab. SPSS is still available for free to all WSU students in an enrolled course or undertaking research assignment (for graduate students).
Once you've completed the checkout for SPSS through our online store, you can find the activation code on the My Downloads page, accessible by clicking the link in the upper right-hand section of our store. There you'll find a link entitled Product Key & Installation Instructions. This is a PDF document that you can download to your computer or open in your web browser. This file will contain the available activation code(s) for the SPSS download(s) available through your order. The installation/renewal instructions are included with this document in the steps following the activation code to assist you with applying the code.